paulscode from ngemu.com porting Mupen64Plus to Android

Posted by newbie Saturday, March 5, 2011 0 comments

It's just a matter of time when Android user to enjoy Nintendo 64 game on their Android Device. Still a lot of job to be done. Of course it will be not perfect at this moment. But take a look at DaedalusX64 a Nintendo 64 for PSP nowadays. Nothing impossible :)

Here's what paulscode say's

Having been out of the emulation scene for a few years, I recently decided to play some of my old N64 ROMs. I went with Mupen64Plus 1.99.3 for the emulator, and I was so impressed with the program that I had to dig around in the source code. I really like the modular nature of this library - it is perfectly structured to facilitate porting to new systems.

I've decided to take a crack at porting it to Android, using the NDK (so I can use native c/c++ directly rather than having to translate the entire project into Java). I realize that current devices are probably not at a level to run N64 emulation smoothly yet, but by the time I finish the port, who knows?

I'll be using pelya's Android SDL port, which doesn't require the target device to be rooted (allowing for easy distribution through the Android Market and avoiding any licensing/warranty concerns that can come with rooting). My initial challenge is translating the Makefiles used by the Mupen64Plus source into NDK-speak (I'm rather new to the whole Makefile concept, so it will be a bit of an initial learning curve). I'll post my progress on this project here. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Also, if anyone else is already working on an Android port of Mupen64Plus, I'd be happy to collaborate.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment