Low Internal Memory Problem

Posted by newbie Wednesday, January 25, 2012 0 comments

  One irritating thing about some Android phones is the lack of internal memory. It was a problem for those who owned the very first Android phone, the G1 (like me!), who got left behind when the Android ROM for the 2.* series was bigger than the G1's 70mb memory.


It continues to be a problem in the Android 2.* series, for phones such as mine (HTC Desire), which has 148mb internal memory.
I�m using Cyanogen�s mod 6.1.1, which is based on Android 2.2. Even with Android 2.2's ability to move applications to SD card, to save on space, I still have a large chunk of the 148mb internal memory taken by applications (plus their data) which were installed as part of the vanilla Android ROM. This includes many Google apps like Gmail, Calendar etc.. and also Facebook, Twitter etc�
Android, when low on internal memory, is designed to reduce it functionality, such as no longer synchronizing with the Cloud (gmail, Facebook etc..) and, worse � rejects SMS messages as a safety measure. Which is something that puzzles me, and many other people, in this bug report. Even after using the very useful Cache Cleaner NG application, I hover at 18-20mb.


The Solution!


Thankfully, I have flashed my phone with the Cyanogenmod. Excellent instruction on how to do this is found here.
Once you have done this, you can Wipe Dalvik Cache, which gave me a crucial 11mb, taking me up to 26mb of free internal space.
Step 1
Hold down the Power button, and this popup will appear.
Hit: �Reboot�
Step 2
Hit �Recovery�
Hit �OK�
Step 3
Use the tracker (in the middle of the physical buttons at the bottom of the handset) to scroll down to �Advanced�, and then push the tracker, to confirm selection.
Step 4
Scroll to �Wipe Dalvik Cache�, and press the tracker to confirm.
Step 5: Use the recovery mode navigation to reboot your Android phone.
Step 6
Hooray! I have grabbed an additional 11mb.
Good luck�
Disclaimer: If you destroy your phone attempting to do this � I take no responsibility at all. You found this website, and you�ve chosen to give this a go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment